A Day at the Reindeer Farm with Reindeer Sleigh Ride
REINDEER FARM VISIT TOUR IN ROVANIEMI
We at Porohaka wish to introduce you to the tradition of reindeer herding. The group size of the travelers arriving to us is small. So we can offer you personal service and tell you in detail what reindeer herding is.
FEED REINDEER DURING REINDEER FARM VISIT
We welcome you with open arms! During the reindeer farm visit we will visit and feed our reindeer herd of as much as 100 reindeer! During the feeding the reindeer come very close so you will notice just how charming and wise they are.
ACTIVITIES AND LUNCH INCLUDED THE REINDEER FARM VISIT TOUR
In addition to feeding the reindeer, you are also warmly welcomed to our house! There we will enjoy a traditional Finnish meat soup for lunch. After the lunch we will continue to other activities. During the reindeer farm visit you will also have an opportunity to try snowshoeing. You can also try cross-country skiing in the beautiful local forest during the winter. There is also a great possibility to see the spectrum of different animals, such as squirrels, foxes, rabbits and birds in the forest. For small children we also have a sled hill and a small present. At the end of the day we will enjoy warm beverages and local pastries by the fire in our Laplander´s hut.
TRANSPORTATION FROM ROVANIEMI CITY CENTER AND SANTA CLAUS VILLAGE
Transportation to reindeer farm visit tour place and back to Rovaniemi city center is always included in the price. Alternatively, you can also arrive to us with your own ride.
We want to make sure your visit to us is a once in a lifetime experience and our program is suitable for people of all ages. However, if you have any condition of reduced mobility or very small children travelling with you, we kindly ask you to contact us in advance so that we are able to make sure everything is safe and that the day is a success for everyone.
SMALL GROUPS, MORE PRIVATE SERVICE
Take your time to get acquainted with our services. Do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything you wish to know more about. Or if there is something else you´d wish to experience with us. We are here for you and we truly wish to make your day with us memorable!
The transportation leaves from Rovaniemi at 10.00 o´clock/10 am. The drive to our home is about one hour. After we arrive, we will check that everyone´s clothing is warm enough as we don´t want anyone to get cold. We kindly recommend that you dress warmly enough, but don´t worry, we have extra clothing for you if you need it!
The day begins with a visit to our reindeer farm. To get there, we will take a short snowmobile ride from our home with you sitting comfortably in a sleigh pulled by the snowmobile. After arriving to the reindeer farm, it is time to feed the reindeer. We will take the reindeer food with us on the sleigh and move inside the enclosure where the reindeer stay. In the enclosure the moving happens with a sleigh pulled by a snowmobile. You will get to sit on the sleigh and watch as the reindeer come close as we feed them. We will take a short stop halfway through the feeding, so that you have enough time to observe. Reindeer are friendly but naturally shy, so remember that our actions should be calm. We will spend about an hour in the reindeer enclosure.
After arriving back to our home, we will enjoy a traditional Finnish reindeer meat soup. We kindly ask you to inform us in advance if you have any allergies or if you wish to enjoy a vegetarian option. During the lunch we will also tell you more about reindeer herding.
After lunch you will have the opportunity to test your luck in traditional ice fishing on a nearby lake. We will travel the short journey to the lake with kicksleds! On the lake we will teach you how to drill a hole trough the ice, how to attach a bait to the hook and most importantly: how to ice fish. If we´re lucky, we might catch some fish! After about an hour of ice fishing we will return to our home.
As the weather in Lapland can be unpredictable at times and the condition of the ice or the weather might not allow us to icefish, we can alternatively go either snowshoeing or skiing in the nearby forest. You will get to experience the peaceful Finnish forest at first hand!
At the end of the day we will enjoy warm beverages by the fire in our Laplander´s hut. You will have the chance to ask questions and share your thoughts about the day.
The transportation back to Rovaniemi leaves approximately at 15.30 o´clock/ 3.30 pm, so that you will have plenty of time to participate in other activities when you get back to Rovaniemi.
Note: Pick-up starts 30 minute(s) before departure.
We offer pick-up to the following places for this experience:
- All Rovaniemi City center hotels (in front of Arctic City Hotel)
- Arctic Treehouse Hotel
- Chalet Hotel Rovaniemi
- Lapland Hotel Sky Ounasvaara
- Nova Skyland Hotel
- Santa Claus Holiday Village (in front of reception building)
- Santa’s Igloos Arctic Circle
Please select pick-up service including right pick-up place while booking this tour.
During this tour you are able to
- see big amount of reindeer
- feed reindeer
- get snowmobile sleigh ride accross the forest
- see very sparsely-populated area outside city town
- learn lots of thing about reindeer herding and reindeer
- enjoy delicious traditional reindeer meat soup
- get needed extra warm clothes
- try traditional Finnish kicksledding
- try traditional ice fishing through the ice (from December to mid-April, we reserve the right depending on ice thickness)
- try snowshoeing and cross-country skiing if ice fishing is not possible due to the weather conditions
- get warm beverages and unforgettable experiences in Laplander’s hut by the campfire
- get free return transportation from Rovaniemi City and Santa Claus Village
- see traditional reindeer herder family in their first year in tourism
- get genuine and original experience like our life and reindeer herding is as usual
– Transportation from Rovaniemi and back to Rovaniemi
– Extra clothing, if needed
– Visit to our reindeer farm to feed the reindeer
– Warm Lunch
– Snowmobile sleigh ride
– Hot beverages and a local pastry
Please note that in this tour there is no reindeer sleigh riding available. One othern of our excursions includes reindeer sleigh riding
What do I need to bring?
Your warm winter clothes.
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 14 days or less before the event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 40% if booking is cancelled 21 days or less before the event
Day tour / activity
Booking in advance
Cut off: 16 hours
6 hours and 30 minutes
Nature Snowmobile tour Adventure Family friendly Group friendly Outdoor
Live tour guide
Each guest’s review and experience sharing is a top priority for us.
Please give us your review, thank you so much!